I am 35 years old, living with stage IV Endometriosis, possibly adenomyosis and struggled with infertility for almost 4 years. I also struggled with PPD and now struggle with PMDD. I am a mother to a son that was born at 18 weeks and too precious for this earth; and now a mother to a son born in August 2011. By journaling here, I hope to benefit both for myself and for others that are dealing with this disease and fertility struggles. Thanks for visiting!





Tuesday, April 14, 2009

You know it's serious when...

You get a big a$$ box o'meds delivered directly to you. Turns out since it was under a certain amount of mula, they go ahead and ship without payment. Also turns out they were stupid and called my work phone after 5PM yesterday. That's why I never heard from them. Crazies!!!

A camera does not do this justice! They did some pretty damn good packing, I must say!


So, what did I get? Some of this stuff I didn't even know about until today. I still don't really "know". I only have my schedule up to retrieval; note the "??" below for things I am not sure what's what:
  • Luprolide Acetate (ie, Lu.pron)- 2 two-week vials with lots of teeny syringes
  • 2 bottles (for me and hubby) of doxy(blahblahlblah) (20 pills each)
  • 2 gonal F pens with 14 needles each
  • 2 ovidrel syringes
  • Tetracylcine (??)-16 pills
  • Medrol-10 pills (??)
  • 3 boxes of menopur (TONS o needles) (??)
  • Progesterone in oil-2 vials (TONS o needles)-only know about this from other bloggers :)
  • Lots of alcohol wipes and a sharps container. I feel so "official"
Some came with 2 sets of needles...one to draw and one to administer? The other is one to mix and one to draw (I THINK that's what I just read). She told me not to get too overwhelmed with everything, so, I'm just kinda going with the flow and just took stock of everything that came in. The only frightening needles are the progesterone ones. WHOA.

I hope I did everything right as far as storage-I put the ovidrel and gonalF in the fridge (they came cold), although, the list said it could be room temp too. I may pull them out before use because I know they hurt less room temp! I've got my mock transfer tomorrow now. I'm bringing my list with me so someone can double check I have everything. I'll be sure to ask them about the temping thing too. I know some HAVE to be put in the fridge after opening, like the Lu.pron. I also need to see what's up with my old (stupid) Dr.'s name being on part of the order?!?! Oh no, they aren't getting ANY of this credit!!!!

How can one not get a smidge overwhelmed with such a shipment?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm overwhelmed for you. Oh my God, I know I haven't been around lately - but it appears that you guys aren't wasting any time.

I wish you the best, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Uh. Yeah. Quite overwhelming. Wow.

Alex said...

I hear that's one of the scariest parts, getting the meds... Take a deep breath and take it one day at a time, hopefully it will become more manageable for you that way. I'm sure you be a pro at sticking yourself in no time!!! I'm so excited for you!!!

Rebekah said...

Facing all those needles would scare the crap out of me...eek. I'd say feeling overwhelmed is perfectly reasonable ;)

Sapphire said...

Just looking at your list makes me overwhelmed. Looks a little confusing to me. You seriously have to poke yourself? I have a hard time even having the doctor do it.
I hope everything goes good and you aren't too overwhelmed.

Erika said...

While I know you feel overwhelmed (fyi-I would be freaking out...completely) I am thrilled that you are really here going to the next step to have a little one. So exciting for all of the possibiliets!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting your meds after all! Wow, that sounds like quite a list. Needles never scared me much, but I've also never seen one of those progesterone ones....they sound enormous from how everyone talks about them!

What IF? said...

It's overwhelming for sure, but the good news is that it often looks worse than it is. One step at a time, because fortunately not all of the meds are taken concurrently.

Some of those needles won't be entering your body, but will just be used for mixing, some of the meds like the doxycycline is only taken between retrieval and transfer, and some, like the PIO, only start after transfer.

Baby steps. ;-) You'll be a pro in no time.

Yes, refridgerate the Ovidrel trigger shot and the Gonal-F pens.
I have kept the Lupron at room temp.