I am 35 years old, living with stage IV Endometriosis, possibly adenomyosis and struggled with infertility for almost 4 years. I also struggled with PPD and now struggle with PMDD. I am a mother to a son that was born at 18 weeks and too precious for this earth; and now a mother to a son born in August 2011. By journaling here, I hope to benefit both for myself and for others that are dealing with this disease and fertility struggles. Thanks for visiting!





Thursday, January 22, 2009

That daym reflux!!!

Will it ever go away? What is it doing to my esophagus? Does anyone else have these symptoms with their endo or an endometrioma? I swear they have to be linked. Though, I first started having reflux when all my symptoms started...after my MD treated me with a round of antibiotics that he shouldn't have. I think it wiped me out. But, after so long...why does it still keep coming back if it's not because of my other GI related endo symptoms? Sometimes I am in just complete misery from it. Seems nothing will take it away once it "breaks through". I'm on nexium. My GI, MONTHS ago gave me a prescription for carafate, but, said it could cause constipation. Like I needed that. I may have to call them and get them to write me a new prescription. Might be worth a shot. It starts deep in my abdomen and comes up in my throat. It's just AWFUL, and, I just needed to rant tonight.

Anyone know anything else I can try? I have gaviscon to take when it breaks through...and sometimes I take an extra pepcid. There has to be relief. And, it's not even diet related...I can drink WATER and it happens.

7 comments:

Amanda and Tim said...

Sorry I haven't commented in a while - I have been eading just not getting round to comments!

Sorry about the BFN and the fact your endometrioma is growing but glad to hear that the new clinic is so much better!

As for the reflx, I don't get reflux but I have developed an inability to eat certain foods and get terible indigestion I never had before my laparoscopy which I am sure did something to set it off. T gets awful reflux and between us we have tried pretty much everything and it does seem as if you can limit it but not always stop it, which sucks. I'm trying to think what has been most sucessful for us but really nothing has been more successful than anything else - just trying to watch what we eat and not drinking when we eat (apparently when you drink, even water, with a meal you dilute the stomach acid which means it finds it harder to digest and causes more problems). We're very bad at not drinking with meals but when we have left an hour or two between food and drink it has helped a bit. Hope the reflux has settled down a bit.

MLO said...

Food allergies are a common cause of acid reflux (not too well known outside of those of us who have the symptom and allergists). It can also be inflammed by airborne allergies. I get bad reflux every fall and spring when my airborne allergies are worst. Since there is a huge correlation between allergy / immune disease and endo, I would suggest seeing an allergist to make sure you aren't getting an exposure that is making your body do weird things.

Anonymous said...

Before my last surgery, I used to get really bad reflux. During my surgery I had a bowel resection so now instead of reflux I have uncontrollable bowels at times, ugh! Ever since my surgery I've taken Questran powder once per day and it seems to do the trick for me.

erin said...

allison...im glad you are doing this. it helps me to better...or well try to better understand what yall are going through. i dont understand a lot of the terms...so you may have to help me:) but i think its amazing that you are so open about it!

My Endo Journey said...

Thanks Amanda, I'll have to try the no drink/food thing. That'll be weird! MLO-I've been tested for allergies before...nothing came up. I am going to have to start keeping a food journal though-some things HAVE to be making it worse. Kischa-I do wonder if it has anything to do with my bowel/endo stuff.

Hey Erin! Feel free to ask away. I'll try to define all my acronyms and such. Thanks for stopping by!

What IF? said...

So sorry to read that you're suffering with reflux on top of dealing with a BFN and considering next steps. It's just overwhelming, and my thoughts are with you.

I had stage IV Endo plus bilateral cysts removed last year, and although I never had acid reflux, I did experience nausea almost constantly. After the cysts were removed the nausea subsided. I try to eat fewer dairy products, and no soy.

I've never suffered from allergies in the past, but over the past few years I've suddenly started reacting to healthy foods I used to eat all the time, like fruits and nuts.

It's so very frustrating to cut (healthy) foods out of your diet. If you're allergic to tree pollen, you can have an "oral allergy syndrome" reaction to stone fruits like apples, pears, apricots, etc.

A food journal might not be a bad idea as even the most "innocent" food could be causing your reflux symptoms.

Thanks for leaving such a wonderful, supportive comment on my new blog, I really appreciate you popping over to say hi. Your blog has really helped me feel less alone in this terrible Endo and IVF rollercoaster ride. Hang in there!

Angela Wice said...

I as well had digestive and intestinal issues with endo. Before my first surgery I had none stop reflux for over 9 months. I was on panteloc for that time and I stopped taking it just before my surgery and I have not had it since. I am sure endo had to do with it.