I am 35 years old, living with stage IV Endometriosis, possibly adenomyosis and struggled with infertility for almost 4 years. I also struggled with PPD and now struggle with PMDD. I am a mother to a son that was born at 18 weeks and too precious for this earth; and now a mother to a son born in August 2011. By journaling here, I hope to benefit both for myself and for others that are dealing with this disease and fertility struggles. Thanks for visiting!





Wednesday, July 22, 2009

PS:

Has anyone experienced their skin getting "tougher" with repeated injections?! Or am I going crazy? And, I'm not talking the same specific spots. Just now, with my Lupron shot...it took a minute to get it in the skin. Not as effortless as it used to be. This has happened several times this cycle. I almost thought for a while the needles were dull. And, DAMN does it hurt when that happens. Okay, not like awful pain, but, OUCH.

That is all. Goodnite! :)

8 comments:

Eileen said...

I feel the same way. Is this over YET??? Wouldn't it be nice to go into hibernation mode?

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, i don't know about your skin getting tougher, maybe if you were giving yourself an injection in the exact same spot every day for a few months, but you never know, maybe it is getting tougher. i do know that if you don't get the angle just right the needle goes in a little harder and hurts a little more.

JellyBelly said...

i always switched sides when i was giving myself HCG injections, so i don't think that my skin was getting tougher, but i did feel like it got easier for a needle-phobe like me!

My Endo Journey said...

Probably my angle!

Lisa said...

Just last night my husband definitely had trouble getting the lupron needle in. He really had to push, and it was the first time that shot hurt in a week. Weird. So no, you're not the only one!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I don't have any advice to offer on the injections since I've never done any, but I hope they get easier for you!

Jeanne said...

Allison,

Sorry it hurts!!

Jeanne

Heather said...

I just stumbled on your blog thanks to google. I've got advanced endo and had my left ovary and tube removed due to a large endometrioma 7 years ago. We are currently TTC and are headed down the IVF route too.

Have you considered having immune testing done? There is growing evidence that the immune system is closely related to endo and that a misfiring immune system can actually cause early miscarriages and impede implantation. Risk factors for immune issues include endo, allergies, asthma, personal/and or family history of autoimmune disorders. If the tests are positive there are additional drugs given during IVF that stabilize the immune system. For women with immune issues the success rates with these additional treatments are much better than without.

We are paying for treatments OOP, so I asked my RE to test me for these before we start treatment just to rule it out. I want to maximize my chances from the start since we don’t have a money tree growing in the back yard. My RE refused to consider it because she doesn’t believe in them. (She’s no longer our RE.) We have since gotten a second opinion and are in the process of getting the tests done. There is a plethora of good information here:

www.ivfauthority.com/2009/05/endometriosis-and-infertility-common.html

www.ivfauthority.com/2009/06/unexplained-ivf-failure-role-of.html

www.inciid.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

www.inciid.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=175

You may already know all of this, but I wanted to throw it out there, since it seems not many REs seem knowledgeable on it and mine certainly wouldn’t have mentioned it to me.

Good luck on the upcoming cycle! I’ve got everything crossed fro you.